Sunday, December 14, 2014

Swatches from my Black Friday Dollar Polish Haul!!!

Today I have some polish swatches to share from my big 'Black Friday' haul a couple of weeks ago. Originally, I planned not to do a haul post, because sometimes they can be a bit boring. However, I changed my mind because I recently decided to swatch all of the colours that I got during the sale, so I thought that I might as well post the swatches!

As I mentioned in my 'Black Friday Mani' post, I purchased some polishes at Sally Beauty Supply for only one dollar each.  I purchased 23 bottles in total: 5 Finger Paints, 6 China Glazes, and 12 Orlys. Here are pictures of the bottles, and the swatches grouped by brand. The polish names correspond to the bottles' order in the picture from left to right.

Finger Paints:
'Hollywood Decadence', 'Tails of Love', 'Margarita Mambo', 'Mistful Thinking', and 'Kitchy Tangerine'.

Finger Paints Polish from left to right: 'Hollywood Decadence', 'Tails of Love', 'Margarita Mambo', 'Mistful Thinking', and 'Kitchy Tangerine'.

'Hollywood Decadence' is a muted, matte glitter with silver pink and blue, 'Tails of Love' is a textured teal polish, 'Margarita Mambo' is a shimmery lime green, 'Mistful Thinking' is a soft greenish yellow with a matte finish, and 'Kitchy Tangerine' is a slightly reddish orange.

I just love the three bright citrus colours on the right side of the nail wheel: the shimmery lime green, lemon yellow and tangerine orange are all colours that I will definitely enjoy using.  The muted, matte glitter, 'Hollywood Decadence', and the textured teal 'Tails of Love', are a bit off the beaten path compared to my regular tastes, but these kinds of sales are a great opportunity for me to try new things with minimal investment. The glitter might make a nice accent finger for a grey or silver manicure, while the teal reminds me of a mermaid's tail. That could be interesting for an ocean themed mani.

China Glaze:
'Stop that Train!', 'Seeing Red', 'Intelligence, Integrity & Courage', 'But of Corpse', 'Rest in Pieces', and 'Getting to Gnaw You'.

Left to right: 'Stop that Train!', 'Seeing Red', 'Intelligence, Integrity & Courage', 'But of Corpse', 'Rest in Pieces', and 'Getting to Gnaw You'.

China Glaze: 'Stop that Train!' is a metallic red, 'Seeing Red' is a slightly orangey deep red, 'Intelligence, Integrity & Courage' is a soft grey, 'But of Corpse' is a matte textured light green with black speckles, 'Rest in Pieces' is a copper black and holo glitter, and 'Getting to Gnaw You' is a copper glitter with a translucent black base.

For this set of swatches, I know the reds and grey will get a lot of use. I'm also really excited to have obtained the more adventurous Halloween shades on the left at this amazing price. I originally passed on the shades during their initial release, because they aren't polishes that I would use on their own on a regular basis, so I could't justify paying full price for them. However they will be great for nail art, so I'm so happy to have them now! 

With Christmas coming, I can see myself using the green, 'But of Corpse', as a textured tree or wreath. The glitter, 'Rest in Pieces', reminds me of crumpled leaves, and bits of sticks - like if you dropped something on a forest floor in autumn, the little bits of stuff that would stick to it! That might come in handy in a fall themed mani. The last shade, 'Getting to Gnaw You', might actually pass as an edgy, sophisticated year round look with lots of topcoat to even the surface.  It also would look nice as wood, soil, or other natural textures in nail art - like tree trunks, pine cones, acorns, etc.

Orly:
  Darks and Purples
    'Goth', 'Wild Wisteria', 'Royal Velvet', 'Darkest Shadow', 'Close Your Eyes', and 'Blend'

Left to Right: Goth, Wild Wisteria, Royal Velvet, Darkest Shadow, Close Your Eyes, Blend

Goth is a black polish with small silver pieces of glitter, Wild Wisteria is a dark blurple, Royal Velvet is a medium purple/shimmery light blue duotone, Darkest Shadow is a black polish with a dark red fleck, Close Your Eyes is a shiny medium purple/plum, Blend is a greyish, purpley, brown mixed shade

I love all of these colours, and I know they will get a lot of use.  The only one I would normally not buy if it weren't for the great price is 'Close Your Eyes', the medium purple/plum second from the right.  I normally avoid wearing medium purples for a full mani, because I don't think that they compliment my skin tone very well. However, purple is a great colour for nail art, and it will incorporate nicely into a variety of colour schemes.

  Neutrals
     'Pink Nude', 'Orly Platinum', and 'Highlight'

Orly Neutrals: Pink Nude, Orly Platinum, Highlight'Pink Nude' is a sheer light pink, 'Orly Platinum' is a softly metallic white, and 'Highlight' is a light taupe

I don't think you can ever go wrong with neutrals.  On their own, they are timeless, elegant, and great for any occasion.  Also, they are a great foundation for nail art.  

  Brights
     'Hawaiian Punch', 'Hot Tropics', and 'Hook Up'

Hawaiian Punch, Hot Tropics, and Hook Up'Hawaiian Punch' is a fuchsia polish, 'Hot Tropics' is a purply magenta with silver micro-glitters, 'Hook Up' is a bright yellow with a soft metallic finish

The yellow polish, 'Hook Up', will be fantastic either as a full mani, or incorporated into nail art. I'm more likely to use the pinks in nail art though, just because I find them a little boring on their own. That's not to knock the polishes, because they are nice shades. However, I generally find it hard to get excited about dark pinks and reds simply because they are probably the most common nail polish colours. Don't get me wrong, they will get used - it's just that I prefer to use more creative approaches with these colours in order to freshen up the look.

And so, that's the end of of what is probably one of my longest ever posts! And here we have yet another reason why I'm not usually a big fan of haul posts - they take so long to do! LOL!

Anyways, I'm planning to do holiday-themed nail art for the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned to see what I come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment