Wednesday, August 13, 2014

'Clueless' Inspired Manicure

Recently, the 90's cult classic movie 'Clueless' has been brought back to the public consciousness. The music video for one of summer 2014's hit songs, 'Fancy' by Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX, paid homage to the movie by recreating some of it's most memorable scenes. Fashion played a major role in the movie, and one of the movie's most unforgettable pieces of wardrobe was prominently featured in the music video - lead character Cher's iconic yellow plaid skirt suit. I remember being amazed at how awesome that outfit was, the first time I saw the film! Seeing it again in the music video brought back so many memories. All hopped up on nostalgia, I was inspired to create this manicure based on that outfit.

'Clueless' Inspired Nail Stamping Manicure - Left. Polishes used: Sinful Colors 'Chick Chick', Konad Special Polishes in white, and black, and Claire's Cosmetics 'Splatter Paint'. Stamped with Moyou London Hipster Collection plate 05.
'Clueless' Inspired Manicure - Left
  
'Clueless' Inspired Nail Stamping Manicure - Right. Polishes used: Sinful Colors 'Chick Chick', Konad Special Polishes in white, and black, and Claire's Cosmetics 'Splatter Paint'. Stamped with Moyou London Hipster Collection plate 05.
'Clueless' Inspired Manicure - Right

 I really liked the way this turned out. It's a bright and fun twist on a traditional plaid.  I used Sinful Colors 'Chick Chick' as the base colour for the manicure.  I used three different plaid images from Moyou London's Hipster Collection Plate 05. I double stamped all of my nails, except for my ring fingers, with Konad Special polish in both white and black. On my ring finger, I applied a splatter effect top coat. The one I used was from Claire's Cosmetics, called 'Splatter Paint'.   I topped everything off with a high gloss topcoat.  I was tempted to go matte with this one, to make it more reminiscent of fabric. I was also thinking about trying to incorporate the jacket's silver buttons into the manicure as well, however I decided against both ideas in order to keep things simple.

This look was pretty quick and easy to do. Also, it would work with pretty much any base colour. I think I will definitely be trying this out with different colour combinations sometime in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment